ComScore

Monday, January 16, 2012

Being a musician

Being a musician is hard!  You gotta get people to listen to your music.  It's really difficult to get people to give you a little feedback.  Lets not forget to mention the time and effort it takes to write and record your music.

Writing a good song isn't easy.  For me it's a journey into my inner soul and dragging out the memories that I'd rather forget.  You know the ones; a bad break up, family issues, feelings of loneliness, addictions.  These are hard skeletons to dig out of your closet and stare in the face.  I don't think people realise how much I expose myself when I write a song.  Not only is it the lyrics but the music as well.  For me it is easier to write the music than the lyrics but it is still hard to write the music.  When it's all written than now you get to record it which is a challenge all in itself.  I can't afford studio time so I use the memo feature on my MP3 player.  Unless you are listening to one of my computerised compositions then you're hearing what that sounds like.  Sub standard at best.

No one wants to give you a chance once you have your music out there to listen to.  Believe me, I'm to the point where I have to harass my friends and family just to listen to what I've recorded.  There's just so many choices of music out there that it's hard to get anyone else to even know you exist.  Even just on a local level.

As hard as it is to get someone to listen to your music, it's near impossible to get any feedback on it.  You have better luck asking someone to shove a pineapple up their ass than you do asking for feedback.  An artist (and a musician and songwriter is an artist) needs that feedback as fuel.  Even negative feedback is helpful if it's constructive.  Don't like the song?  Let the songwriter know what about it you don't like so he knows where he needs to improve  A songwriter trying to improve without feedback is like a blind man dropped off at a random spot and told to find his way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment